1. Reasons to love peanuts
With the arrival of winter season, the market is flooded with different varieties of peanuts from salted and dry roasted to boiled and raw forms. Peanuts are delicious, nutty and crunchy and make for one of the favourite snack in winters. They are actually legumes. They are obtained from the ground, so they are called groundnuts and are also known as ‘Mungfali’ in Hindi, ‘Pallelu’ in Telugu, ‘Kadalai’ in Tamil, ‘Singdana’ in Gujarati and ‘Shengdaane’ in Marathi. They are extremely verstaile in nature as they are used as an ingredient for preparing peanut butter, bars, salads and chikkis. They are also added in poha, farsan and curries. Here is a list of amazing health benefits of consuming peanuts during the winter season. Scroll to know more about them:
2. Nutritional value
They consist of many essential nutrients and are an excellent source of protein, manganese, niacin, folate, vitamin E, thiamin, phosphorus, biotin and magnesium.
3. Tips to select and store
– Always buy unshelled peanuts as they are better than the processed ones.
– While buying unshelled peanut, make sure that pod of peanut is compact and cream in colour.
– Peanut shell should be brittle.
– They should be devoid of any cracks, mold, and spots and free of rancid smell.
– Unshelled nuts can be placed in a cool and dark place.
– Store peanuts at room temperature.
– Always store peanuts in glass or airtight plastic container or zip lock bags.
4. Balance the cholesterol levels
Peanuts contain high levels of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and they help in maintaining the balance between “LDL” level or bad cholesterol and “HDL” or good cholesterol in the blood. Consuming peanuts everyday reduces the risk of heart ailments.
5. Prevent cancer
Peanut contains a high amount of phytosterols called beta-sitosterol, which have the capacity to protect you against cancer by reducing the spread of tumour cells by inhibiting tumour growth.
6. Prevent diabetes
According to various studies, eating peanut daily can lower the risk of diabetes by 21%. It is a perfect snack option for diabetics due to the presence of manganese, a mineral that plays a vital role in fat and carbohydrate metabolism, calcium absorption and blood sugar regulation.